The Roxbury Arts Alliance is celebrating its 10th season of the Investors Bank Theater! We want to celebrate by hosting our second vocal talent competition. We hope that you will join us by competing; voting online for your favorite semifinalist; and/or attending the Final Event at which the final 12 contestants will compete live on March 23 at the Investors Bank Theater.
- Individual applicants must be 15 years of age by the date of the Final Event, March 23, 2019.
- If selected as a semifinalist, the contestant must show proof of age.
- If selected as one of the 20 semifinalists, the contestant must show proof of residence.
- Applicant must reside in New Jersey or be an alumnus of Roxbury High School.
3. Competition Rules:
- This is a vocal competition. Performance time cap on entry is 5 minutes.
- The contestant is a single vocalist and can have up to 3 accompanists. Contestant must provide his/her own accompanist(s).
- Each individual may participate in only 1 entry.
- Winners of the 2017 The Star Next Door Competition are not allowed to apply.
- Submission must be thematically & content-appropriate for all ages. Any entry that is deemed by RAA and/or the judges to be inappropriate for the event will be disqualified. The decision by judges is final.
- Submission should be a live performance. Auto-tuning the performance or tampering with the recording is not allowed.
- The entry that is submitted at the time of application must be the entry that is performed the evening of the Final Event, on March 23, 2019.
- No distinction will be made between those contestants who deem themselves to be professional and those who are non-professional.
- No evaluative consideration will be given to those who perform an original composition.
- Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis from Saturday, December 1 through Friday, January 18 Thursday, January 31 and will be limited to approximately the first 100 applications.
- 20 Semi-Finalists will be selected by three judges as semi-finalists and their videos will be shared on Facebook. The contestant receiving the most “likes” on the Roxbury Arts Alliance Facebook Page will have a guaranteed place in the finals.
- The 20 semi-finalists will be notified by email on Saturday, February 16 and must provide proof of residence and age at this time.
- The Facebook posts will take place from Saturday, February 23 through Friday, March 8.
- 12 Finalists: The 12 finalists will consist of the winner of the most likes in the Roxbury Arts Alliance Facebook Page and the other eleven will be chosen by the panel of judges. The finalists will be notified by email on Sunday, March 10 and they will compete on the Final Event on Saturday, March 23 at 7:30 pm.
5. Contestant Appearance & Decorum.
- Performers should dress in a professional and appropriate manner.
6. Awards (Judges for the final competition are music industry professionals.)
- To be eligible for the cash prizes, those selected by the judges MUST perform on March 23.
- First Prize: $1,010, Second Prize: $710, Third Prize: $410
7. Finalist Guidelines
- Finalists selected to compete in the final event must sign a release form.
- No comp tickets for guests will be available to the event.